Saturday 11 June 2022

Magging he Deep





A couple of posts ago I showed how it is magging for shipwrecks in the shallows close in around the rocks. A buoy was attached to keep the mag fish up.  Been doing some more deep water magging recently as again I went looking for targets I think are down there too. The area I was hunting was in 30meters and over; so for that the mag fish has to get down there nearer the bottom.  The buoy is removed from the the cable support rope and instead we add a few lead weights to it. 

We then drop it in behind the boat and begin towing. I leave the harbour and set it going as soon as its deep enough. Moving fast will still keep the fish near the surface but i do this until im in my target area as it may just pick somthing interesting up on the way out. Once im in the target area, in this case a particular area 7 miles west, I slow the boat right down to allow the fish to drop deep. Then I perform a grid search. This was how I found the Bassenthwaite, and this is how im expecting to find the wreck Im after. As with all wreck hunters Im working on a theory of where the wreck may be based on research. The these theories are often wrong but one has to go through with every theory otherwise it will bug the life out of me until I do. You never know your luck-you could be right!!..... and there's always the chance you'll find something else as indeed happened with the Bassenthwaite wreck discovery.  As I always say after days of failure- "we just have to go again" - (in the right place)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment