Sunday 17 July 2022

Bassenthwaite tokens.



 Over this nice period of weather I did a few drops on the Bassenthwaite. This is a wreck I found out by the crim in deep water a few years ago and I like to visit it from time to time to see what turns up after winter storms. It was the finding of a copper half penny token that determined the identity of this wreck and I said to my mates at the time that if I was correct, and this was indeed the Bassenthwaite, then we should find more of theses same tokens as they were being shipped over to alleviate a small currency problem in Quebec. Either that or we would locate the dies that these coins were made with- or even both those things. Sure enough I have just found some more. After doing some research I learned that there were not many of these in circulation. They were only minted in 1837 and withdrawn that same year. Collectors tell me that when these coins do turn up they tend to be well worn as a result. They are not worth much unfortunately but interesting nonetheless. Many of  ours are in perfect condition because they were never circulated but instead ended up on the sea bed where many have been preserved by the large iron cargo they are found close by. (many have not!) 

J.Shaw & co. Importers of Hardwares. Upper Town. Quebec.
This also means that we are creating history in one small way- the history above can now be pushed back by one year because the finding of these 1837 coins on a wreck that sank in 1836 means that these tokens should have gone into circulation one year earlier - had the tragedy not struck this ship by hitting the Crim reef on her way to Quebec.  I said there would be more of these tokens and I was proven correct.  This is the same wreck we found all the small bells and thimbles on. We have even found a couple of jewish harps. It was described as a very valuable cargo , however the ship sailed uninsured. Coins that were never circulated. Bells that would never ring. Harps that were never played and thimbles that never found a finger.  (All Declared to the RoW or to be so soon, even though thy never clear up my droits)





More of Shaws Tokens

A Jewish Harp stell part has rotted away.

Thimbles



Small Bells

No comments:

Post a Comment