Thursday 25 August 2022

Hollandia anchor.

https://youtu.be/MBnLK3CH7ow 

Above is  a video I took of one of four large anchors found on the Treasure wreck Hollandia.  Depth 32m It lays between the north site and south site.  It was moved there by the salvors back in the 1980's to be used as a bridal mooring. You can just make out the chain they used still wrapped around its long shank. It is the only anchor of the four that does not have large flukes. Below is the salvors original site plan and my pencil points to where this anchor has been moved to. I helped hook this mooring up again when working for them in the 1990's but back then I had no idea where I was on the site. Just did as I was asked at the time and put on the spot to do a job.

Salvors original site plan. (North and south sites)


Today I have produced a site plan of the north site (below) so now know my way around it very well indeed. From this you can compare my north site plan-with their north site part of their plan above to see what items have been moved during salvage and what items still lay in their original positions. The anchor in the video above would not fit on my site plan as its too far away off to the south south east. There was no reason for me to produce a new site plan of the south site as nothing has changed there- apart from items like the lead ballast blocks which have all been salvaged by the salvors-other than that it remains the same. The only other difference being- one of the north site anchors being present nearby that area now. I wondered here it had gone and now I know.

My plan of how the north site looks today.


Heres an image I took of one of the other anchors which all have the large flukes. It is one of those still on the north site. I dont know why the anchors differ in style on this wreck. Perhaps they had different jobs to do.


Heres an image of a Dutch east indiaman of the period of the Hollandia. She sank here in 1743 on her maiden voyage carrying a vast wealth in silver pillar dollars which have all been salvaged many years ago. 


No comments:

Post a Comment