Sunday 26 March 2023

Fishermen


Always dived with Fishermen over the years. Because divers always end up helping them out. We either clear or retrieve lost lobster/brab pots. Lift sunken carbs; or clear their propellers when they have gone over their own lines or indeed someone elses. Its a funny union be cause fishermen often blame divers when they have a bad day. They often think divers rob thier pots but in all my 44 years of diving I have never seen this or heard of a diver doing it.   Most of the guys I have helped have either retired now or in one case RiP. Another has left the islands. Even some of the boats are no longer on the water. I'll introduce a few from the past. 
This top image is Alec Hicks on board 'Good Will'. I knew his father first who was a boatman/diver for Roland Morris on the Colossus Wreck. Later I got to know his son here, Alec, and went out with him quite a few times, once even just for the ride. Alec worked everywhere-in amongst the islands and also out in deep water around the outside a good distance out. He was a serious fishermen. They all are but Alec spent a lot on his well kitted out boat. I also shared his woodworking shop for many years. Alec used to spend his winters in the workshop mending pots and nets and making new pots while I built staircases and such. He was always great company but sadly retired and now left Scilly. He was a local boatman before that. He ran a tripper boat called Kingfisher for years before getting serious with the fishing. He gave up the very lucrative holiday maker trade for smelly fishing.


This is Brian Jenkins & son aboard 'Curlew'. He was the very first fishermen I got to know over here. Brian is always ready with an old story about Scilly. He is a bit of a local oracle who features a fair bit in my book Wreck of Colossus. I have some nice memories going out with Brian on his old tub. He has long since retired and his old 1930's wooden built boat 'Curlew' broken up and burnt. He is very old now and cant get about much but his mind is still sharp as a knife. Brian often went by my boat when I was diving on the stern area of Colossus after I found that wreck site. Thats how I got to know him. His son now runs his own vessel and fishes the exact same spots as his father Brian used to. Mostly around the norrard rocks off Maiden Bower; castle Bryher; scilly rock; Mincarlo etc etc.


Another older fisherman I have helped in the past is Tim. Here is is aboard someone elses boat but his own boat was called Victory. He mostly worked out in deep water around the outside of the islands a a good distance off.  I think he has long since retired or scaled down what he does. Went out with these guys years ago, mostly to look after the boat while they went netting, then help to pull in the catch. The old ways were they set a net on a high tide near a brow of rocks. Then , when the brow covers the fish come to eat whatever gets washed over it. The fishermen then went along the nearby shore and made a lot of splashing in the water to force the fish towards their net. It was great to watch. Not seen it being done like that in a long time but was glad to get to see the old ways in operation.

Kitt Legg aboard Pioneer. Sadly no longer with us, so a bit sad I dont have a better picture of him. . This guy always worked out to the western rocks, St Agnes rocks; Annet rocks; Brow of Ponds; Bishop; Retarrier; and the Gilstone where the  warship Association wreckage lies. Thus I saw him quite a lot over the years working out there.  Quite often he would let me tie my boat up to his pot line when he worked anywhere near a wreck I wanted to look at out that way- of course, in return, I'd have to help him out if called upon. He lived on St Agnes and his son took over his boat for a few seasons after he passed away. But sadly now the Pioneer seems to be high and dry above Periglis bay  and looks to be set to be left that way to rot. but I could be wrong-I hope so anyway!  All very sad. Had some great days out there and seeing and mixing with them all. They being around on the surface while I was diving down below was kind of comforting-especially when I was out there all alone. They were all intrigued to know what it was like down under the places they worked. And if ever I found a new wreck I would tell them= "hey, you know that spot where you always fish by such and such rock?-well theres a wreck under there" It always stunned them to think they had no idea what they were actually fishing over all those years. Similarly, I would say to avoid a position if there was a big steel or iron wreck about- so that they wouldnt get their lines or nets stuck.

Nice guys all!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment