Wednesday 17 May 2023

Double standards


 Already we have had around ten cruise ships in the Roadstead of Scilly.  Good for me but very bad for the wildlife.  As usual I have been diving where they anchor and I see the devastation they leave behind and thus I get to see any interesting items they uncover as a consequence. The other day I followed along a huge swathe one of these ships had cut in the sea bed and it drove right through one of the protected Eel grass beds. Not my problem but I will say this -If I were to go down there and find a wreck or something else of interest I would have to apply for a licence through the MMO to try and uncover it.  However I know for certain that they would never grant such a licence if the thing I wanted to uncover was anywhere near any Eel Grass.  If I went ahead and worked without a licence I would be prosecuted and at the very least heavily fined. I could dig for a month and not destroy anything like what these vessels do in just one day. I'm not complaining as I benefit from them coming in here-its just the double standards from Government bodies that grinds on me.Yet its ok for one of these things to utterly destroy the same thing and no one gives a toss. In this picture- The small blue ship is right in between two areas of Eel Grass and is ok there. The stern of the big white one is right over an Eel bed. The big blue one is ok as she is over sand although she is ever so close to a protected shipwreck  there and a swing of her stern to north would probably be encroaching into the protected zone. Much further over and her keel would knock over the standing guns that are there. Its logical for captains to want to anchor in the lee of Samson Island as their ships are protected from the sea swell there. In the old days of sail they did the exact same thing,-they anchored all around the south and east of Nut Rock.  To be fair, its hard to anchor in that area and not be destroying Eel grass beds-however-all the rest of the Roadstead is free of this protected growth but then they would be anchoring more in the sea swell. However the biggest cruise ships should anchor more south as they are so large the swell wont really affect them much.  

No comments:

Post a Comment