Tuesday 4 October 2022

Say hello to our little friend.

As explained in earlier posts, We do a lot of quick dives over by Nut rock as it can be really interesting. Yesterday was no exception. I found an old ginger beer bottle but my mate found what we think was an old marmalade pot. He put the pot in his goodie bag and brought it up not realising something was hidden inside. We saw it once aboard and poured it out onto the boats engine box. Although I say in the video- 'it dont seem very happy' -I since learned that if that were the case it would change to a more threatening colour from its usual natural shade and possibly even squirt ink about. I suppose I really just thought it looked well out of place in the open air on a hard surface. I know we didnt hurt it as I have seen them walking across very sharp raggedy rocks from place to place while I was on holiday in Malta. One even came up out of the sea at Gozo island and walked right over my younger brothers foot, on its trip from a rock pool to the open sea. Poor ol mick never was good at finding things underwater and when he learned this pot was someones home we felt compelled to let the owner keep it and put it back in the sea. Better luck next time mate Ha ha ha! We dont see these creatures here and for me it was a first in over 23 years of diving here at Scilly. I had seen them diving around mainland England occasionally though but again quite a rare sight.  I have heard fishermen here say that from time to time they do find them in their lobster pots but we never see them while diving here-so it was quite unusual for us.  Click on the video to see our little friendly discovery of a  rarely seen local resident. Enjoy!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment